Monday, December 26, 2011

lunch

I think I may have finally hit my Korean food stride. It took a long time. One of the hardest parts has been my illiteracy. Little by little, with lots of notes scratched by co-workers and students as well as my bad translations of take-out menus, I am really starting to enjoy eating Korean food at the super low pressure gimbap houses. They are akin to American diners with large menus and most food can be made for take-out. (A lot of restaurants don't make food for just one person, you have to be at least 2, and that has been a big hindrance.) Today I had yuggaejang, which is a spicy beef soup with noodles and vegetables. This one also had egg in it. It is served with rice and banchan, or Korean side dishes. Today there was kimchi, dried radish kimchi, some cabbage and some fried spam. I only ate the kimchi. I have also been eating out with Korean friends more, so they have sort of taught me how to eat, which is one of those things that you don't realize you don't know how to do until someone teaches you what to do.

No comments: