Monday, April 23, 2012

Charlie's Chocolate stout cake

This is another Smitten Kitchen cake. When I find a recipe that works in my easy bake oven, I stick with it. This one has been magic.

1 cup stout (like Guinness, I use a Korean one that's available everywhere here)
1 cup butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1.5 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
2/3 cup sour cream (I don't buy that here, because it's expansive and I don't like it so I won't end up using the leftovers. I either sour some cream with lemon juice or use yogurt.)

simmer the stout and butter, add the cocoa, and stir until smooth, allow to cool a bit

blend flour, sugar, soda, and salt with a whisk just to get it, well, blended

Beat eggs and cream, add stout and chocolate, blending until just combined. Add flour and beat until just combined and then fold in the rest of the way.

Prepare a pan. I use a 8 to 9 inch spring form pan. I grease the heck out of it to be on the safe side, getting in every nook. Then pour the batter in and put it in a preheated oven at 350F-176C. I bake it for 35 minutes and then start checking it. I think because this oven is a little on the silly side, it doesn't bake up as fast as it might in a regular oven. Or the fact that I'm using a round solid cake pan and not a bundt pan. I put a piece of foil on the top and keep checking it over the course of maybe 15 minutes, turning it and generally babying it. I use a toothpick to test for doneness, then take it out of the oven, let it cool in the pan, and then unmold it. This one I also like to let sit all wrapped up in the fridge for a few days. Then I make ganache for the top: 6T heavy cream, 6 ounces (170 grams) dark chocolate, and 3/4t instant coffee granules. Heat the cream, add the coffee and stir until it's dissolved, and then add the chocolate and gently melt it. You can omit the coffee and make it over a double boiler if that's easier.

No comments: