Monday, August 29, 2011

tak toritang

I went up the mountain, twice! It was a nice and challenging (for me) hike up the hill with beautiful views from 2 different lookout points. Today I used a different trail, steeper and shorter. There are 4 trails that go up from my side of the hill and the one today goes through a lot of family gardens before it enters the woods. It was beautiful. Then when I got home I was pretty hungry and not up to the weekly grocery shopping so I pulled some stuff out of the freezer and made a Korean potato and chicken soup. This is one of my favorite Korean foods, and here's how it goes, roughly.

I used 2 chicken breasts that I cut into bigger than bite sized pieces, as that is the way here. Then also a large carrot, 2 large potatoes, and a medium onion. Put that all in the soup pot. In a bowl mix a cup of water, maybe 5 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 or 3 tablespoons red pepper paste, 1 tablespoon of soy paste (very similar to miso), 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes, more if you want it hotter, less if you don't, 2 cloves minced garlic and a tablespoon of sugar-I used maple syrup. Whisk that together and then pour it over the veg and meat in the soup pot. Bring to a boil and then put a lid on it and reduce the heat to let it simmer until the veg are cooked through. I ended up adding more water. Serve with a bowl of rice if you want to be very Korean.

No comments: