Thursday, February 4, 2010

macaroni and cheese

Last week at dinner we made a list of the things we haven't had for dinner in a long time, to inspire us. Tonight is home made macaroni and cheese. I took 3 pieces of bacon and diced them. I heated the bacon on medium to render the fat, then I cooked one chopped onion and a table spoon of chopped garlic with the bacon until the onion was tender. Then I sprinkled the onions with 1/4 cup flour and let that cook for a minuet or so while I stirred it. Then I added 4 cups whole milk and let that thicken, then added 3 cups shredded cheese, s & p to taste, I used sharp cheddar and white cheddar, but whatever you like would work. I stirred in one cup cooked pasta and then put all of that into a 9x13 inch baking dish. I melted 2 T butter and stirred that into 3 cups panko bread crumbs and put that on top. I'll put it in the oven later because dinner isn't until 7:30, and it looks so good!

No comments: