Saturday, January 31, 2009

the bread for real


okay, before I added a link to this recipe, but I thought I would post it Natalie style:


  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 T active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons organic (golden) sugar
  • 1-2/3 cups whole wheat bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 2 t olive oil
Mix warm water, yeast, sugar, and the first amount of flour. I just stir it with a wooden spoon so that it's combine and everything is wet. Set that aside to rise, I let it sit on my oil heater. When it gets bubbly and bigger, it's ready. Stir in first bit of oil, salt, and anything else you would like to add and the rest of the flour, and turn out onto a floured surface. I add oats, ground flax seed, and sunflower seeds. Knead, adding more flour as necessary, until the dough doesn't stick to the counter but is still a little tacky to the touch. Lightly grease dough and place in a bowl, cover with a towel, and let double in size. I put it on the oil heater again. When it's big punch it down, split it in half, put it in small bread pans, let rise a little more, just over the top of the pan. Then put it in the toaster oven for 25-30 minuets at 350 degrees. Tap it to make sure it's done, it makes a hollow sound. Let it cool out of the pan on a wire rack, and put the rest of the olive oil on top to keep it from getting too hard.

No comments: