Sunday, November 7, 2010

yogurt all the ways

So I like my yogurt, and Nancy's yogurt is my favorite, introduced to me by my dear friend Aliesje years ago. There's no Nancy's in S. Korea. There is sweet slime, though. No thanks. Catie passed on her yogurt recipe and I have made it a couple of times with success in the slow cooker. Here's a link to her blog post and here's what I do: get 2 single serving container of good plain yogurt. They don't have plain yogurt here, so as per Catie's advice I use the Activia that's unflavored, though it is sweetened. Set it on the counter to let it come to room temp. I get it out when I start heating the milk. Pour a half gallon of milk, any fat content, into your slow cooker. Turn it to low and let it heat for 2 hours. After 2 hours, turn it off and let it sit for 3 hours in the crock. Using a ladle, get some of the milk into a bowl, pour in the yogurt, and whisk it together, then pour it into the milk and give it a stir. So now you have milk and yogurt in the crock pot. Now wrap it in bath towels, including the top, and let it sit for 8-12 hours. I think the longer the better. Alternately, you can do it on the stove. Heat your milk to 185 degrees F. I do this in a soup pot. Then turn off the heat and let it cool to 110. Add the yogurt, wrap it up and let it incubate. Done and done.
So now I have the yogurt straining for Greek yogurt.

No comments: