Saturday, February 20, 2010

cleaning day

tomorrow has been chosen as spring cleaning day. In a house with 7 people, we will have spring cleaning day again in about 6 weeks, that's our rotation. We had a dinner meeting about how it's all going to work, and we will start our day with Big Breakfast. Tomorrow we are having bacon and eggs, oatmeal, and spelt coffee cake. This recipe comes from my summer beach adventure.
Cream: 2 cups soft butter with 2 cups brown sugar. Add 4 eggs and 2t vanilla and stir to combine. Add 4 cups spelt flour, 2t baking powder, 2.5t baking soda, 1.5t cardamom, and 1t salt, stir to combine. (I omitted the salt because my butter was salted and used 2t cardamom because I really like it.) Add 2 cups sour cream and stir to combine, make sure it's well incorperated. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2T cinnamon, and 1 cup chopped nuts. Pour half of the batter into a greased bunt pan, then add half of the brown sugar mixture, add remaining cake batter and remaining brown sugar mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours. I took mine out 10 minuets before the timer went off because I felt it was getting too dark. I think this could make about 12 servings, it's really big.

No comments: