Friday, February 19, 2010

brioche 500!

I made brioche this morning, and it turned out great for my first solo effort. The crumb is so fine, and I love that. I made one with dark chocolate and Neufchatel, and one with strawberry and Neufchatel. The only complaint I have is that I don't hace the little fluted pans that they are traditionally baked in that give them their charming and fancy shape. I think I might have to be on the lookout for some of those. Also, this is my 500th post!

1 packet yeast
half cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
activate yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Mix butter, sugar, and 3/4t salt until fluffy. Add 1 cup flour and milk. Add 3 eggs and 1 yolk, reserving white and yeast. Add remaining flour and stir until smooth. Put in a greased bowl and allow to rise for 2 hours, then chill for 6-12 hours. Shape bread dough into a loaf or rolls or brioche a tete. Let rise again. (it has to come back up to room temp and it should double in size, 2-3 hours) Brush with egg white and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minuets, brushing again half way through. (this baking time is for smaller brioche a tete. For a full size loaf it's best to bake for 30-40 minutes, tenting with foil half way through so it doesn't get to brown. Internal temp should be 200 or there abouts.)

The great thing about brioche is that it's sort of fancy, so it's fun to make it more fancy. You can roll it out after it's been chilled and sprinkle raisins or chocolate bits and roll it up and shape it and put in your loaf pan. I want to try cinnamon rolls sometime. I don't know why I think brioche is so special, but I do.

No comments: