Friday, April 29, 2011

taste test

some day I will be back in the land of the living, ie people that entertain in their homes. (I will call these people my friends) Then I will make them all the food, and there will be all the enjoyment of fun and friends and conversation. Until then, I have you, the 4 or 5 people who read my blog. With you I will share my latest idea: a bean taste test. My mom has sent me her favorite beans, pintos from Mexico itself. She loves them because they are very fresh and thus cook quickly. Here I can buy pink beans, which are similar. So now I am soaking the pintos, and I will cook those in the morning, and then the pinks, because I want to see how they compare taste wise to see if I want to make refried beans with the pinks. Now, I think 2 things are at work here: my love of food and the fact that I have a lot of time on my hands. Viva the beans!

2 comments:

Bethany Grace Martin said...

I would like to know what makes some beans creamy, and other beans mealy. Maybe this is obvious, but I don't know. Is it the nature of the bean itself, or is it in the growing and storing, or the preparation of the bean?

Natalie said...

my mom swears by freshness. The fresher the beans (dried beans) the faster and better they cook. She only buys them from places she knows have a high turn over because they are fresher.