Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm so tired I want to puke.

Today was a teacher training that was 'mandatory' for hogwan teachers in my city. (Hogwan is just the name of the type of school I work at.) I had to wake up at 7:00 to go to this thing. Most people would say that 7 isn't a big deal, but it is, it's a really big deal, and I will tell you why: because I work the swing shift, so I don't go to work until 3, and since I don't go to work until 3, I don't get up until usually around 11:30. I like to think about it this way, this seminar started at 9:30, which is like if a person that goes to work at 8:00 has to go to a meeting at 2:30 in the morning. It's bologna. Now I am at work and I am exhausted, and I have to work until 10:15.

So, let me complain a little more and write about the seminar itself. It's a discrimination story. We hogwan teachers are at the bottom of the food chain in Korean education. We come to Korea bright eyed and bushy tailed, and we are cured of that quickly. Most of us really would like to take our jobs seriously, but no one else does. We were rounded up, and lectured by two men, one with such bad English all the foreigners were laughing. We were instructed in how to obtain a visa, though we all have them, that's how they got our names. We were more or less told we look sloppy, but buying clothes here is a nightmare, the proportions and prices being all wrong. We were also told not to sexually assault children, good times. So, I'm tired and crabby as all get out. And I want to puke.

No comments: