Tuesday, May 31, 2011

this week has been sort of all over the place. The internet was down, again. I have been a little frustrated with it and if I was really living here I might switch to a different provider, but the same problems might be just that, the same problems.

I didn't think I had many hang-ups about my body, but Korea can change that! Sure, I am overweight, but I have lost some weight since coming here. The long and the short of it is this: in America calling someone fat is a rude insult. My students call me fat all the time, and it's getting to me. Before I came here, I read about this, and it's true, I am fat, therefore I am, I don't know, fat I guess. "Teacher, if you loose weight, you can have a boyfriend!" "Teacher, if you loose weight, you can be sexy!" "Teacher, stop eating! You are fat!" I even had a student draw 2 pictures of me on Thursday, one was a 'thin' picture, and the other what she deemed to be an honest representation, it had no features, no clothes, just a large bloated body. (In my defense, she drew what looked to be a balloon animal, and I am not a balloon animal!)

Okay, regroup. I am thankful for my job, my apartment, my air conditioning. I am thankful that I don't have to live here, in the humidity, for the rest of my life. I try to not get bent out of shape, but it doesn't always work. So tonight, I'm a little bent out of shape. So shoot me.

No comments: