Saturday, March 12, 2011

MAKE-ing and meditating

Maybe 5 years ago I was having a conversation with a friend about making stuff. She makes quilts. She also has struggled for years in her relationship with one of her brothers. She told me that she was making a quilt for him and how important it was for her to spend time thinking about her brother and praying for him during the process. Over the years I have really taken that to heart. I find myself wanting to make things for people so that I can pray for them and spend time with them in my head. One of my great friends is dealing with cancer. She's a year or 2 younger than me, and after all the emails and shock, I started knitting a hat for her. I don't think she's going to have to endure chemo, which it traditionally why people make hats for those with cancer, because of hair loss. I wanted to put in the time, and for me this is such a productive and focused way of doing it.

1 comment:

Lisa F. said...

What a special idea... Thanks for sharing it.