Wednesday, November 10, 2010

asking questions

It seems I always have a question. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I can't read Korean. So at my little neighborhood grocery store I have a few ladies who help me out. I stand in front of the food looking confused, and then one of them comes over and hands me her favorite thing on that particular shelf. It's very sweet, though not always what I want. If I really need something I look it up on the interwebs and write it down and take it with me. They are always happy with my little notes and they try to teach me how to say the words. But today was a different story. I wanted a hot pack type thing, something hot that I can put in my bed because it's cold at night. These ladies wouldn't be able to help me with that, too many words and concepts. So I found the next best thing, a middle school boy. All students here speak some English, it's part of their schooling and there is an English component to their college entrance exams. So I held up what I thought was what I wanted and said, "Hot?" They were very eager to help, and when it was all said and done I had a pack that could either be hot or cold. And three new best friends.

No comments: