Monday, May 7, 2012

it's 100% the middle of the night

and I am not sleeping. Which is a bad choice that I am making. But what I really want to talk about is juk. Juk, pronounced more like juke or jook, is Korean rice porridge often eaten by the sick, like chicken soup in America. It's sort of bland, but also delicious. Today a friend of mine was under the weather and I asked her if she was hungry and she said she wanted juk, which was funny because in those minutes, I was trying to find a juk recipe. So, I ended up stopping in at a juk shop, which aren't hard to find, and getting some for us. I didn't have the ingredients or really the time to make it today, but I think it will be happening in the near future. To make it, you soak rice, glutenous is better, for several hours. Using chicken stock, cook the rice with various vegetables, like carrots and garlic and onion and even ginseng. You can add chicken (I have even seen tuna juk, and knowing Korea, it was made with canned tuna) and then just cook it until the rice is cooked and it will make a sort of thick porridge that will be bland but so nice, and you can add salt, which Koreans would never do, but I like to. There are a lot of different porridges out there, made with pumpkin or sesame or red beans,. I look forward to trying to make some this week and will let you know how it goes!

No comments: