Sunday, November 6, 2011

My brother and I talk on the phone 2-4 times a month, and I really enjoy our conversations. We have always been close and the distance hasn't stopped us. One of the things so very Andrew is that he has no idea about and no regard for the time difference, he just calls when he feels like it, and since I have a very regular schedule and his periodically changes, he makes most of the calls. But that's not the point. The point is that this last conversation revolved around the fact that we are so thankful that we both have jobs and can pay our bills. I have had times when I wished I was in the United States eating tacos and cake, but when I was packing up to leave I lived as a guest in a house with 6 other people and worked part time because I had been laid off from the job that I thought was my big break. My brother is in the same boat, wishing that he was working in a job that utilized his college degree, instead working in manufacturing in a town he thought he would leave as soon as he graduated from college. One of his coworkers complains often about the factory job, and Andrew told me that the other day, as this guy was getting going, he looked to another coworker and said, "I don't know about you, but I sure like being able to buy groceries!" I myself just returned from the store with meat and fruit and tea and grain and all sorts of other stuff, thinking the same thing. I am so thankful that I can buy groceries.

2 comments:

BDM said...

I laughed out loud when I read "tacos and cake" because I totally understand missing generic "food" that is plain old unavailable for the time being. As a voice from the other side of the world, I want to encourage you that you have many cake and taco days ahead!! ("Boy, sure wish I could have some Kimchi like the good old days :) ) Keep up the good work there in SK!!

I also appreciate what you wrote about a paycheck. Being unemployed for a bit really makes me thankful to be earning a paycheck, especially because I get to use my college education in the process. It has given me a whole different take on going to work. Keep up the good work there in SK!!

Natalie said...

I made cupcakes and taco soup this week; all is better in the world! Bethany has sent taco seasoning I think twice now, and it is so funny how something so ubiquitous in the United States is such a crisis here. I think I have nosed my way into a kimchi making party on Saturday, so kimchi tacos may be my next invention!