Saturday, October 15, 2011

the hills are alive with the sound of music!

Another great Saturday. I loafed around and called my mom. I knitted and had extra coffee. Then I made myself put on my new exercise clothes and headed out into the great outdoors. It's getting colder and I can't keep wearing shorts, so I got some long pants and some much needed new shoes. (I feel like the story of my life in Korea is buying new, much needed shoes.) I went on my usual path up the hill and then on a new path down the back. I got a little lost in a patch of family grave sites, which was beautiful. After finally making my way all the way down to the trail that leads to the road, I got to the rice fields; so beautiful and changing colour. Eventually I made it out to the road and there is a bus stop, and it seems strange because it's sort of in the middle of no where, but I'm really glad it's there because the road back into town is narrow with several blind curves and no sidewalk, so I always feel in a bit of danger. The bus doesn't come often, but just as the rain started, I saw it coming around the bend.

I have uncharacteristically been eating a lot of takeout, mostly because I got my hands on a menu from the gimbap nara that's a couple of blocks away and with the help of the internet I have spent the last several days translating it. A gimbap nara is Korea's version of a diner, and the one close to me is open 24 hours. It has a huge menu with close to 80 items. Tonight, though, I am cooking up another pot of one of my favorite Korean soups: tak tori tang. It's spicy chicken and potato soup and it's eaten with a bowl of rice. And I should go check on it!

No comments: