Monday, July 19, 2010

the perfect kitchen

in reflecting on moving into an apartment in Korea, I am thinking about all the things I need in the kitchen to make it work for me. I like to have the correct tool for the job, and the wrong tool frustrates me. So, a good knife, and really two, a chef's knife and a paring knife. A wooden spoon. I like them with a wide bowl and a longer handle. Also, I like the ones that are sort of like a spatula and are straight across the bottom. Cast iron pan! So important, and really the only thing I feel comfortable with these days, a little one and a big one, though I could just use a medium and be happy. A metal spatula to go with my pan. High heat spatulas, one small and one big. Mixing bowls. They have smooth rounded sides, no corners in the bottom where food gets stuck like some salad bowls have. A pepper mill, fresh pepper has so much more flavor, and way better texture. A corkscrew. A good can opener. A citrus reamer. A coffee grinder- lately I want a hand crank one really badly. A stainless steel sauce pan, though I would try glass. A colander, metal. A pot that can be both on the stove and in the oven. I would love to try out an enameled one some time. A wooden cutting board. Either a french press or a coffee cone. Spring loaded metal tongs. A good peeler. And that might be everything. Oh, and a hand mixer.

No comments: